Chrysler 42RE Automatic Trasmission Repair Manual. This manual contains the procedures necessary to diagnose, rebuild and or repair the 42RE transaxle and is intended for automotive technicians that are familiar with the operation of automatic transmissions.
INTRODUCTION CHRYSLER 42RE
The Chrysler 42RE (A500SE) is a 4 speed automatic transmission. Mechanical and hydraulic components in the 42RE are similar to those found in the 42RH (A500) transmissions. Hie major difference between them involves the method they use to produce governor pressure for shift control. The 42RE (A500SE) uses electronic components to create governor pressure and the 42RH (A500) uses a mechanical governor to create governor pressure.
First through third gear in the 42RE (A500SE) are provided by the clutches, bands, low roller clutch and planetary gear sets located in the transmission main case. Fourth gear is provided by the overdrive unit, located in die extension housing and contains an overdrive clutch, overdrive direct clutch, overrun roller clutch and overdrive planetary gear set. The 42RE (A500SE) Overdrive Unit is shorter than the 42RH (A500), resulting from elimination of the mechanical governor, governor support and governor oil tubes.
The 42RE valve body transfer plate is completely new. It is redesigned to accommodate a new governor body and different hydraulic circuitry. The governor pressure solenoid and governor pressure sensor are mounted on this body. It also channels governor pressure from the solenoid into the governor pressure circuit for the 1-2 and 2-3 shift valves in the valve body. The 3-4 shift is activated electronically with a shift solenoid.
- COMPONENT APPLICATION CHART
- DIAGNOSTIC FAULT CODES (DTC)
- LINE PRESSURE AND GOVERNOR PRESSURE TESTS
- ELECTRONIC GOVERNOR COMPONENTS
- “UPDATED” ELECTRONIC GOVERNOR COMPONENTS
- INTERNAL WIRING SCHEMATIC
- “UPDATED” WIRING SCHEMATICS
- DIAGNOSTIC CONNECTOR LOCATION
- TRANSMISSION DIAGNOSIS CHARTS
- TRANSMISSION DISASSEMBLY PROCESS
- TRANSMISSION COMPONENT SUBASSEMBLY
- CHECKBALL LOCATIONS
- TRANSMISSION ASSEMBLY PROCESS
- OVERDRIVE SECTION DISASSEMBLY PROCESS
- OVERDRIVE SECTION ASSEMBLY PROCESS
- “UPDATED” OVERDRIVE DIRECT CLUTCH PLATE USAGE
- DIAGNOSING ELECTRONIC GOVERNOR CONCERNS
Size: 4.85 Mb
Free download Chrysler 42RE Automatic Trasmission Repair Manual